- 0207 034 3426
AREAS OF SPECIALISM
- Commercial Litigation
- Education Law
- Property Litigation
Jonathan Chan provides a friendly and accessible service and is keen to support clients with timely advice.
He brings a warm and courteous approach to liaising with clients and Counsel and couples it with an astute eye for detail, which is so essential as a litigator.
Jonathan Chan is a Partner in the firm’s commercial litigation and property litigation team at the West End office. The Legal 500 has recognised the team as having a “unique dynamic” and “a well-integrated and exceptionally talented property litigation team”. Jonathan has individually been recognised by The Legal 500 as a Recommended Lawyer.
Jonathan is experienced in a wide variety of disputes, often involving a cross border and multi-jurisdictional element, including work in the Court of Appeal, High Court, County Court, emergency High Court Injunctions and judicial reviews involving public law matters.
Regularly acting on behalf of both individuals and companies alike, Jonathan is often instructed in a wide spectrum of commercial disputes including high value debt recovery and enforcement, judicial reviews, shareholders and company/partnership disputes, contractual disputes, misrepresentation, unfair prejudice petitions and insolvency matters.
Jonathan is also sought after by developers and managing agents to advise on both residential and commercial property disputes including real property disputes, landlord and tenant disputes, vacant possession strategies involving ground (f) under the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954.
Outside of work Jonathan is a fitness enthusiast and a keen sportsman who regularly cycles and trains in Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
- Successfully challenging a decision by the Office for Students by judicial review. Reported - R (on application of Bloomsbury Institute Limited) -v- Office for Students (2020) EWCA Civ 1074.
- Acting in a multi-jurisdiction case regarding an alleged outstanding debt of circa $25,000,000USD involving freezing injunctions.
- Multimillion-pound shareholder dispute following the sale of a company. Successfully seeking permission to amend case and defending application for strike out. Reported – Markus Pedriks -v- Serge Grimaux  EWHC 2165 (QB)
- Collective class action against a high street bank for breaching the Council Regulation (EC) No 2271/96.
- Acting for a claimant in bringing a multimillion-pound claim relating to breaches of an introductory and commission agreement.
- Acting in an unfair prejudice petition for £1.6million+
- Successfully setting aside a statutory demand valued £800,000+
- Instructed in relation to the revesting of a property valued in excess of £2.5million to a dissolved SPV incorporated in the Isle of Man.
- Advising on the grant of wayleaves and compulsory purchase orders in respect of a hotel development valued £250million+.
- Successfully obtaining 56 possession orders involving 9 separate parties under single claim.
- Successfully defending a claim relating to an alleged breach of sales contract of a luxury home valued £3.6million+, warranties and duties owed pursuant to the Defective Premises Act 1972.
- Defending a claim for specific performance of a sales agreement on the basis that the agreement was invalid and unenforceable for failing to comply with s.2 Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989.
- Successfully defending a claim which enabled the client to unlock the true development value of £5million+. Relying on the cases of: Union Life Insurance Society v Shopmoor Ltd  1 WLR 531 and City Hotels Group Ltd v Total Property Investments Ltd  1 EGLR 253, it was argued that the landlord had unreasonably withheld their consent due to an unreasonable delay in dealing with the request.
“Ronald Fletcher Baker is lucky to have someone like you on the team”
“Jonathan is a delight to work with in all matters, both pre-action and when under the pressure of court hearings and tight deadlines. He brings a warm and courteous approach to liaising with clients and Counsel and couples it with an astute eye for detail, which is so essential as a litigator. He is always on the ball, pro-actively moving matters forwards; spotting potential strategic, practical or legal issues well in advance; and ensuring that they are dealt with in good time and effectively. I am always reassured and greatly assisted by his thorough understanding of his clients’ motivations and objectives and his ability to articulate that to me as Counsel. I very much enjoy being instructed by Jonathan and the whole team at Ronald Fletcher Baker” - Gavin Bennison